Thursday, 11 June 2009

A Moment Of Clarity?

As much as I enjoy the various blogs ridiculing and (attempting) to humiliate Mike Ashley even further in the eyes of the Toon Army, I'm always prepared to give credit where it is due.

Reports in various papers and websites, today continued to rant and rave about the ridiculous efforts to recoup funds by putting every member of the first team squad up for sale.

One report on the other hand told how Ashley had instructed that 'Prize Assets' are sold as a last option. Can this possibly be true, a rational decision?

The Sun went as far as to claim that Steve Harper, Steven Taylor and Nicky Butt were not for sale as Shearer had earmarked these players as his spine. With Andy Carroll on top that wouldn't be a bad team to build around.

Whilst I don't quite believe that they are 'not for sale' I can believe that Ashley has pushed them to the bottom of the list and initially tried to sell the flops, the unwanted and the unkeepable in the shape of Colo, Barton and Oba.

With apparent attempts to hang on to the much sought after Bassong, Beye and Taylor I must say, in all sincerity, thanks Mike.

Please don't let me down.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about keeping hold of that spine - but then I think all those players have already or would be prepared to commit themselves to staying anyway. I'd be more impressed if Ashley could ensure we cling on to Martins and Gutierrez, albeit on reduced wages. Unlikely, I think.

    ReplyDelete