Saturday, 20 June 2009

Quiet Weekends Becoming The Norm

With a relatively newsless weekend around the Toon I decided to pass the time by posting up a story I wrote for Goal.com this past week.

It is Burnley boss Owen Coyle, politely stating his lack of interest in signing our very own upturned horseshoe Damien Duff.

Owen Coyle Laughs Off Duff Link

Burnley manager Owen Coyle has laughed off suggestions he is keen on signing Newcastle United's Damien Duff.

The Premier League may bring new levels of riches to clubs, but Coyle still believes the Republic of Ireland winger is out of Burnley financial reach.

Coyle told Burnley's official website, "I read a report linking us with Damien Duff, but he would be nowhere within our reach.

"There will be a host of players out there who are out of our reach. I had to laugh when I was away on holiday [and saw] we were linked with a couple of players who I had never even spoken to!”

The former Chelsea winger is not in Burnley's plans but Coyle did admit that he has had bids for players rejected this summer.

He also made it clear he has the final say on transfers and will be taking the lead in every potential move, adding, "Nobody will speak to clubs or players on my behalf, if there's somebody after them that will be me."

Written For Goal.com --- June 2009

It seems we will be faced with an unusual conundrum before the start of the season, not how to hold onto players, but how to offload them.

No comments:

Post a Comment