Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Oba's Sincerity Strikes A Chord

Former Toon hitman Oba Martins has revealed that he left St. James' with a heavy heart and that he had to depart Tyneside to keep his career alive.

Whilst it sounds like the usual drivel that each and every departing player would churn out just out of courtesy, there has always been something about Oba that makes his words seem so much more sincere.

Now it's been a long day and i've written 15 stories for the slave drivers at Goal.com today so I can't bring myself to write anymore.

So here it is, another David Kifford original.

Newcastle United Will Stay In My Heart Forever - Obafemi Martins


VFL Wolfsburg striker Obafemi Martins has revealed that he found it hard to leave Newcastle United, but says he had to in order to relaunch his career.

The former Toon frontman left the club for the Bundesliga after a devastating season saw the Magpies drop into the second tier of English football.

However, Martins claims he will always hold a special place in his heart for the fans and the club.

"Newcastle United will forever stay in my heart but I have a whole lot of work to do now for Wolfsburg," The Nigerian international told BBC Sport.

"I gave my all to the club and the fans know that, unfortunately things went awry on and off the pitch.

"I had a wonderful time with the fans, players and management of Newcastle United but once I spoke to Wolfsburg, I saw a fresh start."

Takeover turmoil has engulfed St. James' Park this summer as owner Mike Ashley desperately attempts to offload the grief-stricken club.

With manager-in-waiting Alan Shearer admitting he has been "left in limbo" over his future, and no new signings, the club is ill-prepared for the new season.

Martins joined Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Habib Beye, Sebastien Bassong, David Edgar and Peter Lovenkrands by heading for the St. James' Park exit when he joined Wolfsburg for £9 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment