Friday, 15 January 2010

It's Been A While

Punish me. Just two days short of an embarrasing four month blog-less streak. How could I let this happen?

My sincerest apologies go out to you all. So what have I missed?

OK, it went a little something like this, strong start to the season, 4-0 over Roy Keane's Ipswich (get in), Nolan on fire, Hughton's permanent appointment, Ashley doesn't sell, Jose Enrique on fire, eight wins in a row, Rookie Ranger's first goal, Ashley re-names St. James', disappointment in the League Cup, Colo finds his level, cruised past the Smoggies, ten point lead, standard poor Christmas, linked to Beckford, linked to Kilgallon, Beckford wants to come, Kilgallon not so much, Lovenkrands hat-trick and now the biggest game of the season.

Monday night brings about a possibly Championship winning game. Three points over West Brom won't hand us the title, especially with Forest, Leicester and Cardiff looking ever so hungry for promotion, but it will hand us a nine point lead over (arguably) the strongest opposition in the league.

I would never write off West Brom, or anyone for that matter, and it would be far from exceptional for us to throw away a big lead, after all, we have done it before.

But with the new-found spirit amongst the team and Hughton's wizard-like ability to stop the players being affected by anything off the pitch I really would back us to see it through.

Their only appears to be one problem and that is the constant fear of an open transfer window.

Bolton's link with Carroll doesn't scare me to much as he's not been the commanding force many had expected, but I would still rather keep him than sell him. Harewood's exit hasn't left us desperate for striking options as Lovenkrands and Ameobi have started to assert themselves in this division but Ranger hasn't quite found his feet and if another striker left they would have to be replaced.

Beckford could be the man to come in, and my friend's in the know tell me it's a done deal, but will he cut it in the Prem? Better the devil you know and all that.

The players I would hate to lose would be any of the strong spine running through the side; Harper, S.Taylor, Nolan, Smith or Ameobi. I'm sure it would take a big bid to pry them away from the club, but in the current climate and under the current regieme, money talks.

There's still a terrifyingly long way to go until the end of the season and pretty much anything could, and probably will, still happen.

Watch this space, I'm back on the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment